In addition, make sure to read about our Give Away at the bottom of this email message!
John Newbery Medal
“Dead End in Norvelt,” written by Jack Gantos
Two Newbery Honor Books also were named:
· “Inside Out & Back Again,” written by Thanhha Lai
· “Breaking Stalin’s Nose,” written and illustrated by Eugene Yelchin
Randolph Caldecott Medal
“A Ball for Daisy,” illustrated and written by Chris Raschka
Three Caldecott Honor Books also were named:
· “Blackout,” illustrated and written by John Rocco
· “Grandpa Green” illustrated and written by Lane Smith
· “Me … Jane,” illustrated and written by Patrick McDonnell
Michael L. Printz Award for excellence in literature written for young adults:
“Where Things Come Back,” written by John Corey Whaley
Four Printz Honor Books also were named:
· “Why We Broke Up,” written by Daniel Handler, art by Maira Kalman
· “The Returning,” written by Christine Hinwood
· “Jasper Jones,” written by Craig Silvey
· “The Scorpio Races,” written by Maggie Stiefvater
Coretta Scott King (Author) Book Award
Kadir Nelson, author and illustrator of “Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans”
Two King Author Honor Book recipients were selected:
· Eloise Greenfield, author of “The Great Migration: Journey to the North,” illustrated by Jan Spivey Gilchrist
· Patricia C. McKissack, author of “Never Forgotten,” illustrated by Leo and Diane
Coretta Scott King (Illustrator) Book Award:
Shane W. Evans, illustrator and author of “Underground: Finding the Light to Freedom
One King Illustrator Honor Book recipient was selected:
· Kadir Nelson, illustrator and author of “Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans”
Coretta Scott King – Virginia Hamilton Award for Lifetime Achievement:
Ashley Bryan is the winner of the Coretta Scott King – Virginia Hamilton Award for Lifetime achievement
Schneider Family Book Award
The Jury chose not to award a book in the category for children ages 0 – 8 because no submissions were deemed worthy of the award.
Two books were selected for the middle school award (ages 9 – 13):
· “Close to famous,” written by Joan Bauer
· “Wonderstruck: A Novel in Words and Pictures,” written by Brian Selznick
The teen (ages 14-18) award winner is “The Running Dream,” written by Wendelin Van Draanen
for the 10 best adult books that appeal to teen audiences:
• “Big Girl Small,” by Rachel DeWoskin
• “In Zanesville,” by Jo Ann Beard
• “The Lover’s Dictionary,” by David Levithan
• “The New Kids: Big Dreams and Brave Journeys at a High School for Immigrant Teens,” by Brooke Hauser
• “The Night Circus,” by Erin Morgenstern
• “Ready Player One,” by Ernest Cline
• “Robopocalypse: A Novel,” by Daniel H. Wilson
• “Salvage the Bones,” by Jesmyn Ward
• “The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in Pictures,” by Caroline Preston
• “The Talk-Funny Girl,” by Roland Merullo
Margaret A. Edwards Award
Susan Cooper is the 2012 Edwards Award winner
· “Over Sea, Under Stone”
· “The Dark Is Rising”; “Greenwitch”
· “The Grey King”
· “Silver on the Tree”
If you are interested in the many other Awards and Honors posted at the ALA Mid-Winter Conference, please let us know and we will send you the complete list.
At the 2011 ALA Summer Conference, I had the opportunity to meet with Lane Smith and he autographed an advanced copy of “Grandpa Green”, which is now a Caldecott Honor Book. We would like to Give Away this copy to a lucky International School or Librarian. If you would like to enter our Give Away, here are the rules and directions:
1. Registrations must be from an International School (Librarian, Teacher or Administrator) or International Librarian.
2. Registrations need to be sent to email@example.com and MUST include the following information: name, job title, school name and email address.
3. Registrations need to be submitted on or before 9:00 AM US CST Tuesday January 31, 2012.
If you would like for us to send you an easy to complete Order Form for the above Award and Honor titles, please let us know. In addition, the Award and Honor Lists will be posted on Children’s Plus, Inc.’s website at www.childrensplusinc.com.
Please let us know if we can be of any assistance with your book, AV, furniture, supply and automation needs! We are here to be of assistance to you!