In lieu of a full Job Alike Workshop this year, a “lite” version was held, during which library officers visited three different libraries and had lunch together.
Read on for impressions from some of the participants:
We attended the JAW held on 16 October 2019 as “newbies” as one of us missed it last year and the other is a newly joined team member.
Both of us found it to be very interesting and enlightening. We started the tour at CIS Lakeside where we enjoyed a light but delicious lunch whilst getting acquainted with fellow library staff from other international schools. Shortly after the tour, the team left for GESS in a light-hearted mood and ended our visit at UWCSEA Dover campus.
Each library has their own different ways of operating and doing things in terms of book classification and display, library management systems, library layout etc. Some of the highlights of ;
- A game in which shredded books are kept in a jar and students are encouraged to guess the title of the books to win a big chocolate bar in promoting book week.
- Using different colour code to identify specific book genres, allowing easy search.
- Colourful furniture and vivid green-coloured carpet accompanied with bright lights that gives out a stimulating ambience in the primary library.
- Soundproof study booths
- Promoting books and displaying library operating hours and events on the TV screen in the library. Soundproof ceilings and a quiet study area whereby students have to submit their mobile phones before using that space.
- Laser cut displays that are visually eye-catching.
We both tremendously enjoyed attending this JAW and meeting other like-minded library staff. These library visits provide us with greater exposure by sharing tips, work ideas and practices. It is also a good platform for us to broaden our professional network.
A big thank you to our Head of Library Services and ISLN for giving us this delightful opportunity! We look forward to attending more JAWs in future.
Fizah and Yas from UWCSEA East Campus